I am a linguist, more precisely a phonologist and phonetician, and my areas of interest include:
- phonological features, especially their emergence in a non-nativist approach,
- perceptual cues to segmental contrasts from a synchronic, diachronic and typological perspective,
- the acquisition and learnability of phonological categories and phonological restrictions,
- computer simulations of phonological and phonetic acquisition,
- and retroflexes in all shapes and flavours!
Currently, I'm working on the diachronic change in adaptation of English loanwords into Hong Kong Cantonese, and on the influence of orthography onto loanword adaptation in Italian. Furthermore, I'm looking at the restrictions on speech perception by amusics (with Jasmin Pfeifer and Mats Exter). And I work on the phonetics and phonology of Bantu languages (with Nancy Kula and Laura Downing).